Monday 25 February 2013

ATP Tour Delray Beach, Acapulco & Dubai

This week the ATP Tour has three stops with two ATP 500 events in Dubai and Acapulco and an ATP 250 event in Delray Beach. The worlds top players are out in force with most of the top twenty all in action. Below I'll quickly look at who the contenders are and give my outright tournament tips, starting with the star studded event in Dubai.
        Roger Federer is a five time champion at this event and is the defending champion after beating Andy Murray in last years final. Federer was sluggish today when he came through in three against Malek Jaziri. I don't like the way Federer is playing right now and I don't think he'll be lifting the title on Sunday. Novak Djokovic returns to action for the first time since winning the Australian Open at the event he won three times in a row from 09-11. The Serb might be short of match practice but he is still the man to beat. Juan Martin Del Potro is the man in form and will be loving a chance to play the top players. I think the Argentine is Djokovic's biggest threat this week and might just be able to upset the Serb. Tomas Berdych seems to be on the cusp of the top four but needs to start getting consistent wins over them soon. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga played well last week to win in Marseille but is so hit and miss it's hard to know what to expect this week. Outside of the top four seeds I don't see any other winner.
        The second ATP 500 event is in Acapulco and is going to be a massive indicator as to where Rafa Nadal's game is at. He enters as the second seed behind David Ferrer, having dropped to fifth in the rankings. Ferrer is the favourite for the event in my eyes because he is in such great form and is probably the best natural clay courter behind Nadal. If Nadal was fully fit it would be impossible to see Ferrer beating him but this is his big chance. Nadal has played well in his first two events back but this is the big test. If he beats Ferrer in the final then I am 100% confident he will be back at the top of the game very very soon. If not, then we know it will take longer before we see him competing for majors. The only other players I'm watching this week are Nicolas Almagro and Stanislas Wawrinka. Almagro is a natural clay court player and can't be ruled out against anyone. Wawrinka is in great form this year and if he keeps this up then he will be a top ten player very soon. For me, the title is between the top two Spaniards.
       Finally Delray Beach hosts an ATP 250 event this week. Last week's winner in Memphis, Kei Nishikori is back at the scene of his first ever ATP title this week full of confidence. Nishikori is another player who can blow hot and cold and that's why I'm struggling to back him this week. Top seed John Isner has underperformed for the last few weeks as he returns from injury but I do think he will hit form soon. This week provides a great chance for him with a favourable draw making him my favourite to make the final from the top half. Watch young American Jack Sock this week to see if he can follow up his great win over Milos Raonic last week. Tommy Haas is one of the favourite for this event, having won it back in 2006 but he has lost in the first round on his last four visits. I don't see that happening again and I fancy him to go a long way. Sam Querrey and Aleksandr Dolgopolov have been unpredictable this year but could make headlines this week if they play to their potential, especially the Ukrainian.
       As far as picking the winners go I've picked an outright winner for all three events as well as an each way bet in two events. In Dubai I've gone for Novak Djokovic at 8/11. He is the best in the world and if he is even at 75% he could be untouchable this week. His only threat is Del Potro who I considered picking but Novak seems to have an edge over Delpo. I've also gone for Tomas Berdych each way at 12/1. He will love these conditions and I think he'll beat Tsonga and Federer along the way.
       In Acapulco, I've gone for Nadal at 4/6. It's a risk backing him against Ferrer at this early stage of his comeback but I've never once backed against him on clay and I can't start now. He is the king of the red dirt and I think he'll really announce himself back on the tour this week.
       In Delray Beach, I've chosen John Isner at 6/1. I fancy his big serve to get him through this week on these fast hard courts and win his first title of the year. This week could kick start his season. I've also chosen Tommy Haas each way at 8/1. The German veteran may not be at his consistent best yet but I have been very impressed with him in the last few weeks. Respiratory problems forced him out of Memphis but he was outstanding in San Jose the week before. He has made a lot of finals in the last year where he seems to fall just short which makes him a good each way bet. I see no reason he can't at least make a final here.

No comments:

Post a Comment