Thursday 9 May 2013

Madrid Masters 1000: Thursday

Action is underway in Madrid today but there are still a number of games left to go and we're here to have a look at some of them and see who can expect a quarter final spot.
    Rafa Nadal and Mikhail Youzhny are up next in the men's in what I think will be a very one sided match. Nadal may not have been at his brilliant best against Paire but it's not easy find your rhythm in your first match here. The altitude changes the way the ball flies through the air and with a game under his belt I think Rafa will be much better today. Youzhny beat Almagro yesterday which was no great surprise because he has never lost to the Spaniard. This one will be a different story. Rafa in two.
    Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Fernando Verdasco do battle later today in what has the potential to be an upset. Verdasco has got some surprising wins this week but I don't see his run continuing. Tsonga had a very good win over Robin Haase last night and I think he will get a very good win here. Verdasco has the capability to win this one if he is on form but I just don't see him bringing consistency to the court again today. Tsonga in three.
    Roger Federer faces a tricky match against Kei Nishikori today. Federer might be the world number two but his lack of matches worries me. Nishikori is playing very well this season and he will fancy his chances today. Federer looked good against Stepanek but there were times he seemed to struggle and that worries me today. I think he will be in good stead for the French Open but he is vulnerable this week. It's hard to go for Nishikori to win so I'll say Federer to win but I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Nishikori cause a shock.
      Daniela Hantuchova faces Kaia Kanepi in what should be a real battle. These two have both had very good wins this week and will be confident. I like Hantuchova but I think she's going to struggle today. She has a 3-1 record against the Estonian but her three wins were more than four years ago. Kanepi won their last meeting 6-3 6-1 and I think she will get the job done today. Kanepi in three.
      Sara Errani takes on Varvaro Lepchenko in an intriguing battle later today. Lepchenko made an impact at Roland Garros last year and certainly knows her way around a clay court but she faces the ultimate warrior today in Errani. The Italian is one of the best clay court players on the tour but Lepchenko has beaten her on clay only a few weeks ago, in straight sets. Errani is someone I think could make a final this week and despite her record against Lepchenko I think she will get a straight sets win of her own today. Errani in two.
      Ekaterina Makarova got a surprise win over an out of sorts Azarenka yesterday and faces Marion Bartoli today. Two players having average seasons and in desperate need of something to kick start their year. Bartoli is a great fighter but I think she'll meet her match in Makarova. I like Ekaterina to get through this one in a tough encounter. Makarova in three.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment